Tinnitus is a physical condition most often experienced as a ringing or buzzing in the ears and is a symptom indicating a problem with the hearing system.
Up to 20 per cent of the Australian population has some form, from mild to severe. It is not a disease, but can have a debilitating affect on your lifestyle if left untreated.
Penninsula Hearing identifies tinnitus causes and provides treatments to help clients manage this symptom of hearing loss. Our specialists conduct hearing tests and ear examinations to determine any underlying causes and recommend suitable tinnitus treatments.
Some of the most common causes are:
- Exposure to loud sounds
- Stress or trauma
- Degeneration of the hair cells in the cochlear
- Ear problems, such as otosclerosis (fixation of the tiny bones in middle ear)
- Meniere’s disease
- Some prescription and non-prescription drugs
Exposure to loud noises such as industrial machinery, lawnmowers and loud music remains the most common preventable cause.
Although there is no tinnitus cure there are a range of tinnitus treatments available to help people successfully manage the condition to the point where it is no longer a problem for them. One of the most successful tinnitus treatments maybe a good quality and properly fitted hearing aid.
Our Clinicians are able to help you understand the causes of your tinnitus and recommend treatment options that may suit you.
- Contact Penninsula hearing for a free hearing assessment* and ear examination today
- Learn all you can about tinnitus causes, treatments and long term management – the more you know the better you will be able to master it
- Avoid exposure to loud noises and wear ear protection where possible.